Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: How do you sync sound ?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Alex Wise's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 18th, 2002
    Posts
    4
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    I'm not sure on the process to sync sound(especially dialogue) using a basic super 8 camera, and the sound being recorded from an external source like a dat recorder.

    From what i have seen on the net, a lot of the time i c sites talking about recording the sound on the projector or using a sync unit on more of the pro super 8 camers.
    Well i don't have a pro camera, and anyway i want to do this on my computer which is fast and has premiere 5 on it (Which i haven't used yet).

    What i am thinking is that i will have the film sent of to be converted to digital, and then match it with the sound using premiere.

    Have i got the right idea or will it not be possible ?

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Actor's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 9th, 2000
    Posts
    622
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Cool

    I use iMovie and I can do it. Surely Premiere can do it.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Jon P's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 8th, 2001
    Posts
    92
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    A clap board and a minidisc player seem to be the popular choice. Then marry the two up in edit once you get your rushes transfered to DV. I would like to know how easy this is and if there is a sync slip between the two.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member mcarter4121's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 20th, 2001
    Posts
    154
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Speed adjustments in Premiere aren't fine enough, or I just don't know how to use the proper audio filter yet, so I use Goldwave for the .1% speed adjustment required. http://www.goldwave.com

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Alex Wise's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 18th, 2002
    Posts
    4
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I will download Goldwave and compare it to Premiere.
    Cheers for the help guys and i will let you know how it goes.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member jefury's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 31st, 2001
    Posts
    114
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I havn't had much experience with sound sync but I hear from some people, if you don't have a sync camera, it could be hard matching the sound with the footage because the camera isn't running at exactly 24fps or 18fps.

    But that's what I hear. I'm also working on a similar project where I need to get a lot of dialogue. Seems like the miniDisc player and clapper board would be the way to go! [img]smile.gif[/img]

    Best of luck!

    Jeffery

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Cranium's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 2001
    Posts
    117
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    And if your camera has a flash socket, you can record the pulses from that on the second channel of the minidisc, then resolve this using software. Then your audio will be in perfect sync!

  8. #8
    Inactive Member jefury's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 31st, 2001
    Posts
    114
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Oh cool! I didn't know that!
    That's great news for me.

    Thanks

    Jeffery

  9. #9
    Inactive Member rollemfilm's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 1st, 2000
    Posts
    437
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    use fresh batteries when shooting for sound. the best cameras are the sound cameras since they seem to have a steady transport. although i have used non-sound Canon cameras. shoot at 24fps. if you use a digital recorder, and you transfer your footage via Rank, you will have to slow the audio down by 1/10 of 1 percent. if you transfer via standard film chain, no adjustment of the audio is needed. here are two links that may help:
    http://members.aol.com/fmgp
    www.tobincinemasystems.com
    i have had great luck shooting sound with a non-sync camera. but, it's always a **** shoot. if you have no other choice, shoot with the intent to sync. use a clap board, mark and log all your shots. i change batteries every three rolls for sound. i use those same batteries to shoot MOS later. if you are shooting with a cassette recorder, use good tape, plug the recorder into a wall outlet if you can and/or again, use fresh batteries.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Konton's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 1st, 2000
    Posts
    189
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Here's something I wrote on the subject for Super 8mm:
    http://www.super8mm.org/sound.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •